Monday, February 3, 2014

Hesperia, California -February 3, 2014

Hi Family,

So to answer all the questions you asked me:  We didn't do anything to celebrate it.  There really is nothing in Hesperia.  We did some missionary work.  I should have gone and got ice cream or something at least.  Maybe on the 8th since that is my hump day.  There are quite a lot of Hispanics here. In fact the 5 closest people to me right now, are all Hispanic and are only speaking Spanish.  We do have a Spanish ward in this area.  I am not sure if it just one or two.  It is very different than rancho.  The houses are not as nice, there is no grass, just dirt, the wind blows all the time,  the people are a little more hillbilly, and more have them have less teeth. I am not sure how many ward are in Hesperia.  Maybe 8 or 9.  Our zone is split in two so I don't know how many missionaries either.  Maybe 30ish in all of Hesperia.  There are 14 in our zone.  I assume the other zone is the same.  The ward is a good size.  We followed Sisters in.  First time I have done that.  The apartment wasn't too bad.  The vaccum was broken so the floor was and still is gross, and the tub is DISGUSTING.  So I am planning on scrubbing that thing A LOT today.  They left a bunch of crap gross food that we didn't want.  Our first day there we took out three bags of garbage.  I am getting used to doing that.  It has happened in most of the apartments I have moved into.  My new companion has been out for 4.5 months.  So less then me.  Every transfer she has moved areas and got a new companion.  So I am her fifth companion and forth area.  Kinda crazy huh? Worse then me.  It is also lots colder in Hesperia.  

Well this week was interesting.  We didn't get left many miles on our car, so we walked a whole lot, which wasn't fun because it was SO cold-well cold to what I am used to, not what you are used to I guess.  I am used to 80s with no wind, not 40s with a strong cold breeze.  We met a lot of the ward.  That is most of what we did this week.  We just met the members.  We called basically the whole ward list and called them all to set up appointments, whether they were active or not.  That was fun.  We made a lot of phone calls. 

Tuesday was an adventure.  So this area is already super different then my last area.  And I was still getting used to it.  So at about 9 at night Sister Haupt and Sister Price came over (the Sister Training Leaders) just to say hello.  After they left, we realized we left the phone in the car.  So we grabbed the keys and headed out there.  I didn't bother locking the door because it was so close.  We have the really dumb screen door that everyone in California has.  You can't see in the house, but whoever is inside can see out perfectly.  So we ran back to the house, and the screen door (metal) wouldn't open.  So luckily I had the keys, except the door never was locked.  So we sat there for a minute twisting and turning and doing everything we could to try to open the door.  Nothing worked.  So next we called our district leader to get permission to call the girl who lived in there before us so that we could see if there was some secret.  We called Sister Wood and she told us that nothing like that had ever happen to her before.  Then we called Sister Haupt back.  She told us to find our manager.  If she couldn't help us then to call her back and they would drive back to our house (15 minutes) to help us open the door.  If we still had no luck, then we could spend the night at their home. 

We went to our managers apartment-she is about 80 and all the lights were off and it was about 945 at this time.  So we didn't want to bother her.  We called Sister Haupt back and they said they were on their way.  We waited for about 10 minutes when two Elders showed up.  One was Elder Eppich and the other was his companion who I forgot the name at this time.  They are the zone leaders for the other Hesperia zone.  We weren't sure why they were there, but we didn't care either.  We were tired and cold.  The two elders then tried everything they could think of to open the door.  They pulled and twisted.  They tried to card the door.  They even tried the windows, which were lock.  Then Sister Haupt showed up.  She tried everything she could think of. Nothing wanted to work.  So then Elder Eppich remembered he had a crowbar (yes a crowbar) in his truck.  They ran to their truck and came back singing, "zone leaders to the rescue" while caring a crow bar (I am sure our new neighbors love us).  And for the next 10 minutes they pried our door open.  Come to find out that the handle had broken.  So it would turn, but the little latch thingy, doesn't turn with it.  So basically they just broke the handle to our door. We got  in and everyone went home.  But don't worry mom, we still have 3 other locks on our doors.  We are safe and sound :)   The Elders showed up because Sister Haupt thought they were our zone leaders and called them.  I guess they live closer to us then our actually zone leaders live so it worked out, and they were the ones with the crow bar. 

In church yesterday, they called on us to go and bare our testimonies first.  That was fun and unexpected.  I was planning on it because he helps gain trust, but definitely not planning on going first.    We will also probably be talking in church sometime soon.  Also someone spread rumors that the ward was getting new sisters along with elders. There are not elders in the ward.  Just us.  So all week we have had to go and explain why there are no elders (every time we make up a different reason because we really have no idea)  I just hate the person that thought it was a good idea to tell everyone that they elders were coming because we hear about that non stop.  Every one is now asking when they are coming and I answer, "well not for at least five weeks.  We have this thing called transfers...."  Oh it is a party.

But our bishop is a hoot.  I think his family has like 25 chickens and is pretty disappointed in my lack of knowledge about chickens.  He thought that having a chicken farm, I would know everything.  He wants to tour so I told him if he ever made it to Logan, we could work that out.  He is a lot of fun though.  He keeps us laughing.  We are going to get along great with him. 

Love ya
Sister Woodward

No comments:

Post a Comment